Government of Punjab initiated School Health Program in 2007 wherein there are 2456 sanctioned post of School Health and Nutrition Supervisors (SH&NS). SH&NS is an outreach workforce based at BHU in each Union Council. Currently there are approximately 1782 SH&NS working in School Health Program in 33 districts. There is no recruitment for district Faisalabad, Khushab and Sahiwal.
The key activities performed by SHNS are as follows:
- General Screening of Public School Children
- Specific Screening of Public School Children (Biannually)
- Health Education Sessions in schools
- Health education sessions in Community
School Health and Nutrition Supervisors conduct health education session according to annual plan both in schools and community. The work plan of each SHNS varies according to the number of public schools for both primary and elementary (boys and girls) schools in their respective UCs. They perform their activities according to approved monthly work plan and data collected from all SHNS is shared with the P&SH Department.
Subsequent to bifurcation of the Health department into Primary and Secondary Healthcare Department (P&SHD) and Specialized Healthcare and Medical Education Department (SH&ME), the post of SH&NS came under the administrative control of P&SHD. After the bifurcation, P&SH Department started multiple reforms at primary healthcare level, one of which is revamping of the School Health Program.
As a part of revamping activities of SH&NS
- Job Descriptions have been revised
- Curriculum has been developed
- Revision of recording and reporting tools
- Revision of Monitoring and evaluation framework
- Training of SH&NS across the Punjab on revised Job Descriptions and newly developed curriculum encompassing child screening (health & nutrition), recording and reporting tools and monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Development of an android application is under way and soon SHNSs will be reporting through an online dashboard on the newly developed recording reporting tools.